Monday 14 March 2011

XOXO - huh?

These 2 letters are used so much it is mind boggling to me. It's something I am getting used to but of course I have my own spin on how I use them or don't use them.

I reserve "xo" for loved ones such as family because to me this means hugs and kisses right?

Here in the UK every text message is signed off with "x" which is obviously a sign of friendship but this is only if you believe "x" is a hugg. I don't see the English signing off with a kiss to every person they know. Or do they?

According to wikipedia I have this backwards?

Hugs and kisses is a term for a sequence of the letters X and O. The use of "X" to signify a kiss is more long-standing than the use of "O", dating back at least to 1765.
However, some believe that the symbols "X" and "O" are reversed, with "O" meaning kisses and "X" meaning hugs.

It is debatable which letter represents which act. Some interpret X as the crossed arms of a hug and O as the puckered lips of a kiss. However, the interpretation assumed in the following, in which X represents the four lips of a kiss and O the four arms of a hug, is more common. For example the Oxford English Dictionary states that X is "used to represent a kiss, esp. in
the subscription to a letter."

I think I will stick with what I know and continue to think "x" means a hug and "o" to mean a kiss. I will continue to use xoxo with my hubster and family near and far.

Not that I don't love my friends but xoxo has become over used and just seems weird to me - no offense to those who want to use it but I will reserve my kisses for the ones I do kiss hello ;-*

So do you use "x" for hugs or for kisses?

Do you reserve xoxo for family or just never use it at all?

snow white

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.

Mignon McLaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment