Friday 25 May 2012

Date of Expiration

Now normally I am a stickler for not eating past the expiration date including the "best by" date on milk or other items but I that is over.

As an expat there are things you crave from home, it can be small things that make you feel better.  I was having a moment (or two) of life sucks and what do you eat when that happens? Kraft Macaroni & Cheese!  I had a box sure (my last box) and I boiled the water and got ready to drain and thought huh wonder what the expiration date/best by date is and it was July 2011! I laughed to myself and said, "screw it" as its pasta and its dried cheese stuff.  I dipped my finger in and it was FINE! I ate it.  It was fabulous and it made me feel a bit better.

After quitting smoking and other shit happening in my life - I put on about 15-20 pounds and I know Mac & Cheese isn't the best for you but sometimes you just need that comfort - don't judge me as I did share it even though I could have demolished the entire box. 

I am still weird about the expiration but not as much as I was in the states because here stuff expires or has a best by date the moment you open it!  Cheese even has a best buy date of a week - a block of cheese! I mean come on, we all know cheese can last longer.  Bread lasts longer here because it isn't so warm and humid and that rocks but mine still goes moldy because bread would last me months if it didn't go moldy.

Just another thing you do as an expat and if you really need a comfort, you seek it out even if it "expired" almost a year ago.

snow wife

No comments:

Post a Comment