Thursday 6 January 2011

Its for sleeping and sex ONLY!

Yeah I made you read this didn't I?

That is my new motto 80% of the time unless the hubster wants to cuddle and watch a movie in bed one night.

I have been having a horrible time getting to sleep for the past few months. I thought it was stress, anxiety and slight depression due to the upcoming holidays and maybe it was a combination on all of the above. Leading up to the holidays I was on edge and could get snappy quite quick and then try going to bed at 2:30-3am. I was not a happy camper.

Even though I get about 8 hours of sleep since I just get up around 10 nothing was stopping me from feeling very ass draggin all day. I turned a group of wonderful people for some ideas to help and took all advice and made it work for me.
I have bought a Wii fit and doing at least 30 minutes a day but I aim for an hour of exercise which includes yoga and free jogging up and down my stairs. My lifestyle went from moderately active to straight up sedentary all in a year, the down side, my weight shows it - I say enough is enough.

I started a routine around 11:30ish which includes Chelsea Lately and a cup of Decaf tea to help signal it is almost time for bed! They better not take her off TV like they are doing with John Stewart or it will be gossip E!news crap.

So a few changes have been made like I am not watching TV in bed at ALL. When I go to bed even at 1am I don't turn on the TV but thank god I found my sound machine and I can put on some rain to help put me to sleep. My brain just doesn't shut off which is a problem when you want to sleep and you are tired but can't. I am also setting an alarm and forcing myself to get up at 9am even if I don't want too. This might help reset my internal clock source *crossing fingers*.

I am also tracking everything I eat, not so much for a calorie perspective but for the vitamin perspective. I know I am iron deficient and now I realize I don't get enough fiber or potassium in my diet either and I am sure this doesn't help with the draggin ass syndrome. I started taking a multi vitamin as well as Vitamin C & D. I know I should take iron but it is miserable no matter what time of day I take and with or without food it is MISERABLE! My stomach feels like there is an alien in there trying to get out so I will put that last on my list.

Finally I bought a S.A.D lamp because it is dark so early and so gray during the winter months. I have high hopes for this awesome little lamp that sits on my desk.
What is SAD?
SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a type of winter depression which affects millions of people every winter between September and April, in particular during December, January and February. SAD is caused by a biochemical imbalance in the hypothalamus due to the shortening of daylight hours and the lack of sunlight in winter.
Symptoms:
  • a desire to oversleep and difficulty staying awake, but in some cases, disturbed sleep and early morning wakening;
  • feeling fatigue and an inability to carry out normal routine;
  • a craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods, usually resulting in weight gain;
  • feelings of misery, guilt and loss of self-esteem, sometimes hopelessness and despair, sometimes apathy and loss of feelings;
  • an irritability and desire to avoid social contact;
  • a tension and inability to tolerate stress;
  • a decreased interest in sex and physical contact
  • and in some sufferers, extremes of mood and short periods of hypomania (overactivity) in spring and autumn
Now I don't think I have all those symptoms but even just a few and for 50 quid it is worth a shot to get some fake sunlight whilst I work.
I hope this all works and if not then I will just be healthier and fitter and still a night owl ;-)

snow wife
Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?

No comments:

Post a Comment