Wednesday 15 June 2011

I left school years ago...

I always had decent grades and thought I understood things pretty well then WHAM you land in another country.

Let's just say I now have major brain farts on certain phrases and spelling of words.  I always thought oh that won't be me, I have lived so many years with US phrases and words engraved in my brain but it has happened.

Few randoms happenings:
  1. I couldn't remember what what a car park was called for a brief moment duh parking lot
  2. I actually used the UK 1st floor correctly and then had to think if it was right because here the 1st floor is the second floor because the 1st floor is the ground floor here. (see how you can confuse yourself?)
  3. The Z and S conundrum  - organize/organise OR apologize/apologise I randomly do it both ways now!
  4. Doubling the "L" - I see it and it looks right but US programs tell me I am wrong so it's another one I use both obviously  travelling/traveling OR fuelling/fueling
  5. Using "pissed" this is common in our neck of the woods - He was pissed like...That is a full sentence. It means woah was he drunk and it isn't like anything.  The like is just an add-on like a valley girl would say but with a Geordie accent.
There are loads more but it is just funny weird to me how things creep into your vocabulary without realizing/realising you do it.

Snow Wife

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment